Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Y1x01: How I Met The Debaters?

The moment I came into UMK, my first ever dream was to be in a Debate team, represent our University in the Worlds and of course win something for UMK but then OH CRAP! We didn't have any debate club but they used to have a team whose no longer active debating when I came in. Ermm...seemed like another "kick-start" after the high school English committee but way worst. So hey kids, let me tell you a short story about "How I Met the Desperate Debaters?".

 1) Firdaus Fert a.k.a Expired Alpha
     Basically I found myself on the month of September 2009. Used to 
     be a high school debater. So the debating spirit was still there when I 
     left high school. I came in and start dragging these creatures into 
     "disaster" lol

2) Martina Irumi Khoo a.k.a the Diplomat
    I met her during English speaker's corner 2009. She spoke about 
    Family; surprisingly she sounded so naive, decent and innocent.
but before I knew she was in for the competition her classmate told me about this girl with good English conduct and she's a mix blood girl who's from Penang. So I persuaded her to be in the debate club and later went for East Coast Debate 2010. We lost all five rounds and ranked second last. YooHOO!!!  

3) Hemashangari a.k.a Hema Aka
Hema was a very serious girl with curly hair (neatly tied; so nerdy huh) back then when I met her after a lecture. I told her, "My roomate Mooi said you're good in English. Are you interested in Debating?" and yes...she gave a YES answer but still I need to hunt her down every time when we're gonna have a meeting.
4) Izzaty Iqlima a.k.a Secret Weapon &G.D.G
I met her during the first semester and yeah she's a hot girl. We were very close and we actually M.C-ed a few events. She told me that she used to be in Public Speaking Competitions and I said, "Alright, you're in the Public Speaking & Debating Club". She was forced to present a public speaking during the first meeting of the club and during the "Co-Curiculum Day Demonstration". Her spirits in debating was amplified after IIU Workshop.
5) Lavanya Malini a.k.a The Sky is Falling
I met her when she signed up for the club. During the first meeting she really made an Impression. She dragged along one of her friends who seemed scared and yea she gave me the do-you-know-i'm-freaking-out look? Lavanya is very stable and I can see her deep and pure interest in Debating. At that moment, I was smiling to myself because, "Yup, no worries I have an apprentice already".

6) Shiyamala Devi a.k.a The Vampire Girl
 Okay, now this is the girl who's been dragged into the club. I found out that she was my junior so wat da heck, I'm so gonna hunt you down Shiyamala. During the third meeting, it's so difficult to gather people to attend the club meeting. Yup, I'm falling apart already by Kazimah Roslan was there and so as Lavanya and Shiyamala. To keep her spirit in debating I included a clip from twilight so that she can talk about it. And YES she did with the hey-I-know-everythin-about-the-rabies-infected-creature look.

7) Veronica Lok Li Wen a.k.a The New Alpha
My persistence paid off here. I have to text her, call her and meet her up in person at that time. She was busy being in love and tracking her down is a serious business. She was there during the third meeting and another time during Royals training week. I noticed her talent when I met her during the Genetic class. She's good so let's bring her in. Apparently, she said YES! 

8) Danial Arif a.k.a Mr. Jiwang
My classmate was having an affair with him when I noticed that he spoke English. Alright, Ka Ching! Another guy to bring into the club. He told me he got some debating experience and I talked him into club.

9) Unetha a.k.a Mother Teresa, Kasthuri a.k.a the Chopper & Karuna a.k.a Hema's Boy Toy
Being known for her famous quotes, "Baby hatches are baby hatches" Unetha was dragged into the English debate after a special meeting. Karuna and Kasthuri was from the Tamil Division. But they were being persuaded to join the English debate because the rules of the club was changed that they need to pick another language besides Tamil. And they chose English.

10) Jeff, Colin & Nazirah
It has been almost a year running the club when the third season of speaker's corner took place. I received recommendations from my teammates and lecturers. Colin joined the club because of his interest. Jeff was persuaded by the debaters so as Nazirah. Every new members will need to go through the same ritual the moment their one of the desperate debaters, "An ice breaking speech".  

11) Farah Hafizah a.k.a Our Researcher
The most difficult to persuade but she then she said YES to our research team. And she's the first one ever.

and not to forget...

Kazimah Roslan, Faliza, Shyra, Lot, Mary Amalina, Hidayah Rahman, Asma, Yan and many more who was there with me before this dream became a reality. Kazimah was always there when I am down and when the meeting was not working enough. These people in not to forget is the most important part in the building up of UMK Desperate Debaters.

Dear readers,

The love that I have for these people is unwritten because it stays in me. Now, it has been almost a year before UMK Desperate Debaters celebrate it's first birthday. I would like to thank all the members for making this dream a reality. The tradition will stay when the new alpha takes my place and the spirit of the team will be pass from generation to generation. I love all of you guys very much that I'm willing to shed my tears for any victory you guys made, for any quarrels we made and for the memory & history we created.



 

"Stop the insanity, Go Organic"

Firdaus Fert
UMK Desperate Debaters President & Founder
(2009-2011)

2 comments: