Sunday, August 28, 2011

I AM A G-E-E-K

This post is dedicated to those who think debaters are geeks. I’m still not sure whether to be angry or to feel pity to those who discriminate and comment on things that their unfamiliar or threatened by. So, todays post is ALSO  for all those people who are interested in debating yet need that extra push to sign up.
  I really would like the opportunity to meet the guy who decided that debating was for geeks and give him a piece of my mind big SMACK! Who gave him the right to decide between what’s acceptable and what’s not in our society??

  Okay Breathe..!Now that’s out of the way let me let you in in a secret. Ladies and Gentlemen, debaters are GEEKS. Wait before you throw a shoe at me and call me a hypocrite I meant GEEK as in G-E-E-K (Gregarious, Exciting, Exemplary, and Knowledgeable).We are not  those  thick rimmed glasses wearing,anti-social  bookworms you see in  those American Drama Series. Allow me to school you on the latest version of geeks.
   Since I’m a Geek myself ill shake things up and start with K and work my way to G! Debaters are Knowledgeable! We need to be constantly updating ourselves with the latest information i.e. Foreign policies in France! Just because we read a lot that doesn’t mean that our lives revolves around reading only!Hey debaters are the biggest party animals I know ,so if you are up for having a good time, You know who to call! J
  Debaters are also Exemplary  individuals. This is clearly seen in our very own Desperados where they are not only active in debating but also in other activities and clubs. Not to forget, academic excellence. Okay I’m starting to sound like a college advertisement luring unsuspecting parents. Debate instils competitiveness and perseverance in its debaters. It teaches us to work hard and never give up on our hopes and dreams.
Your conventional Geeks just excel in academics and rarely interact in a social environment. That brings me to my third point, Debaters are Exciting! This sport is not only about  regurgitating  out vast amount of information but how well you use that information and persuade the audience to  agree with your stand. This is done best by linking that information with real life situations. Debate during the day AND we party at night. We Udd Kids really know how to have fun! Gosh I remember all those sweet times spent hanging out during tournaments, late night suppers and Karaoke sessions!
 Last but not least Debaters are Gregarious! Okay I admit we do talk a lot some of us more than others but hey! There’s nothing wrong with that, lets embrace our talkativeness! Debate opens up a channel for us to get to know people from various walks of life who can definitely relate to our experiences .I enjoy interacting with this amazing people who one day will be making headlines and making a big difference in the world.
  This post was created with love and also a personal agenda. This post was to prove to those haters out there why debating is a sport that has not received the recognition it deserves. I love debate and I’m proud to be a G-E-E-K.!
                                     
                                                                                                                    Stop The Insanity Go Organic
                                                                                                                    UDD








1 comment: